Royal Doulton Autumn Glory Bowl. Pre Owned. No chips or cracks. Value R1200. Measurement 13cm x 23cm.
The Doulton factory was established in 1815 in Lambeth, South London by John Doulton (1793 – 1873), who had previously been employed at the nearby Fulham Pottery.
He initially had two partners, Martha Jones and John Watts, the former of who left the company in 1820, and the latter in 1854.
He began by producing practical and decorative stoneware, such as bottles and sewer pipes from his small pottery
John’s son Henry (1820 – 1897) joined the company in 1835 and the production of stoneware items was expanded to include laboratory articles, sanitary ware and drainpipes, which were sold worldwide.
In the mid 1850s John Doulton began experimenting with a more decorative pottery items.
The famous salt-glazed wares with blue decoration first appeared in 1862.
Through Henry Doulton, the pottery became associated with the Lambeth School of Art directed by John Sparkes from about 1866.